Scholarships   Universities   Conferences   Student associations   Summer courses   Jobs   How to write a...

Find us on Google+
Google+
WRITE A MOTIVATION LETTER
[find out more]
SCHOLARSHIPS IN USA
[find out more]
HOW TO WRITE A CV
[find out more]
TOP USA UNIVERSITIES
[find out more]



 Log email:
 Password:
 
Not a member? Click here to join.



Scholarships
United States
European Union
CEE States
Other

Conferences
Small fee conferences
No fee conferences
Full grant conferences

Summer courses
United States
European Union
CEE States
Other

Jobs

How to write a...
How to write a resume How to write a CV
Write a motivation letter
Prepare your trip aboard
Write a structured essay
Prepare for an interview
Write a cover letter
Write a research essay
Write a recommendation letter
Apply for a scholarship

Featured websites

Retete culinare ilustrate
mondoucina.ro

Retete de vis
retetedevis.ro

Easy recipes explained step by step
RecipesFantasy.com

 
Carleton University
Ottawa, Canada



   

University description (as per official university website)

A Chronology of the Institution
1942
Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning established to develop Carleton College. At first the College offered only evening classes in introductory university subjects, with some courses in public administration.
1
943
Ottawa Association for the Advancement of Learning incorporated.

1945
Beginning of day classes and full-time teaching. Establishment of the Faculty of Arts and Science, including courses in journalism, and first-year engineering.

1946
Move from rented premises to the First Avenue campus, formerly Ottawa Ladies’ College. First degrees awarded, three in journalism and three in public administration.

1947
The College committed itself to complete Major and Honours courses, the third year of the program being offered for the first time in 1947-48, the fourth year in 1948-49, and the fifth (Honours) year in 1949-50.

Back to Top
1949
First degrees in arts, science and commerce awarded. Formation of Senate.

1950
First Honours degrees in arts and science awarded.

1952
The Carleton College Act 1952 passed by the Ontario Legislature. This changed the corporate name to Carleton College. It also confirmed the power to grant degrees.

1952-53
Property for new campus acquired, on the site between the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal.

1953
Establishment of the School of Public Administration.

Back to Top
1954
Appointment of Architectural Associates for Carleton to prepare first master plan and to design first group of buildings. First honorary degree (LL.D.) conferred on Dag Hammarskjöld, Secretary-General of the United Nations.

1955
First Master’s degree awarded.

1957
The Carleton University Act, 1957. Establishment of the School of Engineering. Establishment of the Institute of Canadian Studies.

1959
Move to Rideau River campus, following construction of the Henry Marshall Tory Building (science), the Maxwell MacOdrum Library, and Norman Paterson Hall (arts).

1961
First degrees in engineering awarded. First Ph.D. degree awarded.

Back to Top
1962
Students accommodated in residences on campus for the first time.

1963
Reorganization into Faculties of Arts, Engineering, Science, and Graduate Studies. Committee on Soviet and East European Studies established.

1966
Establishment of the School of International Affairs. Establishment of the School of Commerce. Comparative Literature Committee established.

1967
Integration of St. Patrick’s College as a division of the Faculty of Arts. School of Social Work became part of the Faculty of Arts.

1968
Establishment of the School of Architecture. New University Government established with student representatives at all levels of the University system from department to Board of Governors. First academic exchange agreement between Carleton and the State University of Leningrad.

Back to Top
1969
Free-choice first year initiated for the Faculty of Arts. Linguistics Committee established.

1970
Agreement completed between Carleton and the University of Ottawa to accept “visiting students” at the graduate level. Biochemistry degree program initiated. The Institute of Soviet and East European Studies established.

1971
Unified Liberal Arts Program established for St. Patrick’s College. General Science Degree program established with Environmental Studies program available.

1972
School of Social Work accommodated on the Rideau River campus. A one-year French program offered at St. Patrick’s College for students wishing to improve their knowledge of the French language and culture by one year’s intensive study. Exchange program with the Université de Savoie, Chambéry, France.

1973
First degrees in architecture awarded. St. Patrick’s College moved to a new facility on the Rideau River campus. Establishment of the School of Industrial Design. New athletics complex, with a 50-metre pool and a fitness centre opened.

Back to Top
1974
Faculty of Graduate Studies renamed Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. School of International Affairs renamed the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs. First courses offered off campus in Lanark County and downtown Ottawa. St. Patrick’s College division held first Convocation ceremony at new location on Rideau River campus.

Master of Journalism program and Master of Arts program in anthropology approved. Master of Arts program in religion approved. Academic exchange agreement between Carleton and the International Cultural Institute, Budapest, Hungary.

1975
Lester B. Pearson Chair for International Affairs approved. Establishment of Gerhard Herzberg Lecture Series in Science. Scholarships established for part-time students. CKCU-Radio Carleton has FM licence approved. New undergraduate programs introduced in Canadian studies and computing science. A program in film studies approved. First Dunton Alumni Award presented.

1976
Creation of the Paterson Centre for International Programs to co-ordinate the growing number of academic exchanges between Carleton and universities throughout the world. Division of the Faculty of Arts into two separate faculties; the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences. First Master of Journalism degrees awarded.

1977
Criminology and Corrections concentration (later renamed Criminology and Criminal Justice) begun at St. Patrick’s College, April.

1978
School of Continuing Education established. Credit courses offered on cable television, September. Institute of Biochemistry established.

Back to Top
1979
St. Patrick’s College ceased to operate as an academic unit of the University. Academic programs of the College continue as University programs, except for the Unified Liberal Arts Program. Department of Film Studies established. First Marston LaFrance Memorial Lecture presented. Ph.D. program in English and French-Canadian literature begun.

1980
School of Computer Science established.

1981
Establishment of the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Research and Graduate Studies in Chemistry, a joint program with the University of Ottawa. Establishment of a joint Ph.D. program in economics with the University of Ottawa. Establishment of the B.Eng. Computer Systems Engineering Program.

1982
Establishment of the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Geoscience Studies, representing the combined research strengths of Carleton University and the University of Ottawa with programs leading to M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in most areas of geology. Establishment of a joint master’s program in computer science with the University of Ottawa. University celebrates 40th anniversary.

1983
Establishment of four joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa: the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Graduate Studies and Research in Biology; the Ottawa-Carleton Centre for Graduate Studies and Research in Physics; the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Research and Graduate Studies in Electrical Engineering; and the Ottawa-Carleton Graduate Specialization in Neuroscience.

Back to Top
1984
Two new undergraduate programs introduced: the Combined Honours B.Sc. in Biology and Biotechnology, and in Biochemistry and Biotechnology. Joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa established in the areas of civil engineering, mechanical and aeronautical engineering, and mathematics and statistics.

1985
Master of Management Studies program established in the School of Business. The School of Public Administration offers a concentration in development administration in conjunction with the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs. An additional floor on one wing of the Herzberg Laboratories for Physics is constructed to house the School of Computer Science.

1986
The Social Sciences Research Building is built to accommodate the rapidly-expanding research activity in the Faculty of Social Sciences. An annex on the top floor of the Architecture Building is constructed to provide additional space for the Faculty of Engineering. The Paterson Centre for International Programs is renamed Carleton International with a broader mandate to administer Carleton’s international activities in teaching and research.

1987
The Institute of Women’s Studies is established. The Arts Tower is renamed Davidson Dunton Tower/Edifice Davidson Dunton in honour of Arnold Davidson Dunton, former Carleton University President and Director of the Institute of Canadian Studies. Major revisions to the Undergraduate Exchange Agreement with the University of Ottawa extend opportunities for students to study at both universities. The University launches the Carleton University Challenge Fund, the largest fund-raising campaign in its history.

1988
Canada’s first Bachelor of Engineering program in aerospace engineering is established. Bell-Northern Research Limited and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council provide funding for an Industrial Research Chair in computer-aided engineering within the Department of Electronics. The Departments of Electronics and Systems and Computer Engineering are major partners in the Telecommunications Research Institute of Ontario (TRIO), one of seven “centres of excellence” chosen by the provincial government for scientific research. The Faculty of Science introduces co-operative education programs in computer science and biochemistry/biotechnology.

Back to Top
1989
New regulations for the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences encourage stricter controls on academic progress. Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering renamed Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. The Institute of Political Economy is established.

The Canadian Centre for Trade Policy and Law, a joint initiative of the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs and the University of Ottawa, is established. Carleton University and Apple Canada Inc. form a partnership in the Apple Research Partnership Program. The Challenge Fund surpasses 80 percent of its goal by mid-year and capital projects are initiated: the new Life Sciences Building; a residence building; additions to the MacOdrum Library and Southam Hall; and the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering.

1990
A new Ph.D. program in computer science, offered jointly with the University of Ottawa, is established. The University introduces a Bachelor of Social Work degree program. The Paul Menton Centre for Persons with Disabilities is opened. The Centre for Research in Particle Physics is established to carry on the work of the National Research Council’s large-scale physics projects.

1991
The University’s $30 million Challenge Fund campaign surpasses its goal and a $1.5 million “enhancement” campaign is launched. The extension to the MacOdrum Library is complete and construction of the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering begins. Introduction of new M.A. programs in political economy, communication, legal studies, and applied language studies. The Faculty of Arts establishes School for Studies in Art and Culture and School of Comparative Literary Studies. The Centre for Analytical and Environmental Chemistry is formed and the Chair for Management in Technological Change is announced. International exchange agreements are formalized between Carleton, and Laval, York, British Columbia and four Swedish universities.

1992
The University celebrates its 50th anniversary. Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, which includes a new B.A. program in environmental studies, is established. Department of Civil Engineering renamed Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. School of Journalism becomes School of Journalism and Communication, and Institute of Canadian Studies becomes School of Canadian Studies. The Centre for Aboriginal Education, Research and Culture is established. A new Ph.D. program in public policy, the first of its kind in Canada, is offered by the School of Public Administration, and a master’s program in Canadian art history is introduced. The Carleton University Art Gallery and the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering are opened. The Governor General of Canada and Head of the Canadian Heraldic Authority, His Excellency the Right Honourable Ramon John Hnatyshyn, grants the arms and flag of Carleton University at the fall Convocation ceremonies.

1993
Centre for Memory Assessment and Research established. Teaching and Learning Resource Centre established. Institute of Soviet and East European Studies renamed Institute for Central/East European and Russian Area Studies. Carleton University hosts the 1993 Learned Societies Conference. Construction begins on new Inco Centre. Institute of Women’s Studies renamed Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s Studies. Administration Building renamed Robertson Hall.

Back to Top
1994
New Industrial Research Chair in Performance Engineering of Real-time Software established. The Inco Centre officially opened. Research Facility for Electron Microscopy opened. New Ph.D. program in Public Policy established. New Bachelor of International Business program approved. Colonel By Child Care Centre opened. Construction begins on the new Carleton Technology and Training Centre.

1995
Carleton Technology and Training Centre opened. Bachelor of Humanities undergraduate degree program established.

1996
Establishment of the College of the Humanities. Establishment of the Simon Reisman Chair in Trade Policy. Establishment of the Founders Award. Establishment of the Almerco-NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Applied Parallel Computing. Capital Campaign, with a goal to raise $50,000,000 for the University, launched.

1997
Two new faculties created: the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Public Affairs and Management. Department of Religion joined the College of the Humanities. School of Architecture modified its program to create a four-year degree program, with the professional designation provided by the two-year master’s program. Bachelor of Arts program improved with standardization of programs across all departments and introduction of programs to allow students to improve their academic skills and to “tailor” their degrees to specific goals.

Physics undergraduate degree program replaced with an applied physics program. Several small language programs closed: German, Italian, Russian, Spanish) as well as undergraduate programs in Comparative Literary Studies and Classics. New undergraduate program in Communications Engineering established. Co-operative education programs offered in all engineering programs.

The following graduate programs were established: Ph.D. in Cognitive Science; Ph.D. in Communications; Master of Arts in Film Studies; Master of Public Administration (with a Concentration in Innovation, Science, and Technology Policy); and the Graduate Certificate in Conflict Resolution.

1998
Faculty of Science realigned its departments into the College of Natural Sciences and the School of Mathematics and Statistics. Centre for Initiatives in Education added to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Geography renamed the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies.

Two new degree programs created: Bachelor of Mathematics and Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management. Two new programs added to the Bachelor of Arts degree program: Art and Culture, and Criminology and Criminal Justice.

New programs established in Computational Chemistry, Engineering Physics and Software Engineering. Master of Science in Information and Systems Science (MScISS) program expanded.

School of Computer Science established a computer retraining certificate program. Office to coordinate co-op placements for engineering and science students opened.

Back to Top
1999
A $6.4 million expansion to the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering is approved. The addition of three floors will provide additional teaching and research space to accommodate the significant growth in informational technology programs.

Two new computational science programs are introduced–Computational Biology and Computational Biochemistry. Senate approves new MEng and PhD programs in Environmental Engineering, as well as the establishment of minors in German, Spanish, Italian, and Russian. Other new programs include a B.A. (Honours) in Geographic Information Processing, a Combined Honours in Human Rights, a B.A. and B.A. (Honours) in History and Theory of Architecture, and a new Ph.D. in Cultural Mediation. New guidelines are approved for applicants from community colleges.

The Institute of Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Culture is established within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

The Nortel Networks-Carleton University Laboratory for Advanced Materials Research at Carleton University opens, allowing researchers to create the next wave of information technology products.

Arthur Kroeger College of Public Affairs is opened in October. The new College, named in honour of Carleton University’s Chancellor and one of Canada’s leading experts in public affairs, Arthur Kroeger, is the home of the new Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (B.P.A.P.M.) program.

The Texas Instruments and Nortel Networks DSP Lab for Advanced Communications Research and Education opens in September, making Carleton the first university in Canada to become a Texas Instruments (TI) digital signal processing (DSP) “elite” laboratory.

The Carleton University School of Social Work celebrates its 50th anniversary.

The wind tunnel in the MacKenzie Building is renamed to illustrate the long-established relationship between Carleton and Pratt and Whitney Canada (PWC). The lab gives graduate students, researchers and PWC engineers the opportunity to collaborate on leading-edge turbine aerodynamics research.

The Institute of Central/East European and Russian-Area Studies is renamed the Institute of European and Russian Studies. The B.A. (Honours) in CERAS is changed to European and Russian Studies.

2000
The Faculty of Science introduces a new Seminar in Science to support first-year students entering Science at Carleton. The Enriched Support Program is expanded to include the sciences. A new five-credit Sonic Design Diploma is launched to provide focused training in musical applications in the computing field. Carleton’s introduces a new B.A. program in Classics, Religion, and Humanities. Computational Geophysics is added to the Computational Sciences programs.

A new joint Ph.D. program in Canadian Studies with Trent University is approved. The B.A. in Religion and the Certificate in Law Enforcement Studies are closed. A Minor in Technology, Society, and Environmental Studies is introduced.

New University-wide regulations for academic standing, promotion, and graduation are approved.

Construction begins on several new campus initiatives, including a new Residence, a Biology building, and a Light Rail Project.

The three-storey addition to the Minto CASE Building is completed.

Carleton is awarded $40 million by the provincial government for extra classroom and lab space, improved Science facilities, and enhanced research and private sector partnerships.

The first class of Carleton Humanities students graduates at Spring Convocation.

For the first time in Carleton’s history, the average first-year high school entrance grade is more than 80 percent.

Back to Top
2001
The School of Public Administration is formally renamed the School of Public Policy and Administration.
The Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Environmental Engineering is created to house the new Masters and Ph.D. programs in Environmental Engineering. Thesis-based Master of Applied Science degrees in Engineering are approved to distinguish them from the course-based Master of Engineering degrees in all the joint graduate programs with the University of Ottawa.

A Minor in Aboriginal Studies is introduced in Canadian Studies.

The Master of Management Studies program is changed to the Master of Business Administration. (M.B.A.)

The School of Computer Science becomes the first in Canada to make the Information Systems Professional (I.S.P.) designation an integral part of the Bachelor of Computer Science degree program. A new graduate diploma in European Integration Studies is introduced.

Over $120 million in building projects are undertaken on campus. These include new state-of-the-art biology facilities and a six-storey residence with beds for an additional 395 students. Construction begins on centralized student services facilities, and a new classroom pavilion.

The University becomes a major stop on Ottawa’s new Light Rail system. The Eric Sprott School of Business is born. The School is named after Carleton alumnus Eric Sprott, Chairman of Sprott Securities Inc., who made a $10-million donation to the School this year.

2002
Carleton opens the renovated Tory Building, and the Azrieli Theatre and Pavilion. The H.H.J. Nesbitt Biology Building opens, a state-of-the-art biology facility named in honour of one of Carleton’s longest-serving faculty members. Carleton’s Student Academic Success Centre is created to offer improved undergraduate academic advising. The Educational Development Centre is created to promote the advancement of teaching and learning at Carleton. The National Wildlife Research Centre opens, bringing 50 federal scientists to the Carleton campus for research and teaching.

The University secures more than $74 million in multi-year external research grants and contracts, the highest in the University’s history. Construction begins on a covered multi-sport field and indoor track facility, and a 400-bed residence at the corner of Library Road and Campus Avenue.

The Banner Student Information System and the personalized student intranet “Carleton Connection” are launched. Carleton’s Maxwell MacOdrum Library launches a new integrated library management system.

Carleton University and Algonquin College introduce a joint Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) degree to begin in 2003. The French department introduces a new Concentration in French Language Teaching and Learning Studies. The Bachelor of International Business (Honours) program introduces new Concentrations in International Marketing and Trade, Strategic Management and International Human Resources, and International Investment, Finance and Banking. New minors are introduced in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, and Physics. The School of Public Policy and Administration develops an undergraduate Certificate in Nunavut Public Service Studies in cooperation with the Government of Nunavut.



Website:: http://www2.carleton.ca
Email: info@carleton.ca
Scholarships section: Scholarships website section
Scholarships email: awards@carleton.ca






   Scholarships and grants for international students @ Carleton University

   
Next >>
   NAWIC Founders Scholarship Foundation NAWIC Founders Scholarship Foundation Canada / China Scholarship Program Microsoft Corporation Graduate Scholarships
   Mary A Gardner Scholarship Harry and Sarah Zelzer Fellowship International Room, Board and Tuition Grants Hagley Museum and Library Grants-in-Aid
   Graduate Teaching Assistantship International Presidential Scholarship Charles LeGeyt Fortescue Fellowship Dissertation Fellowships on Peace and Security in the Changing World
   Gwendolen M Carter/PAS-NU Fellowships Howard Heinz Social and Public Policy Fellowships Mackenzie King Traveling Scholarships International Friendship Grant
        

   
Next >>


 


Scholarships

Junior Fulbright Program
United States


Ford Foundation International Fellows Program
Worldwide


Rotary Fellowships
Global Network of Community Volunteers

Student grants

Graduate Assistantship and Doctoral Assistantship

International Fee Remission

Half Tuition Merit Scholarships

Grant in Aid

Lillian Moller Gilbreth Scholarship

Harvard-Smithsonian Postdoctoral and Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Predo

Japan Studies Dissertation Workshop

Hauser Global Scholars Program

Need-Based Grants

Gwendolen M Carter/PAS-NU Fellowships

Internship in Environmental Education

Internships for Astronomical Research

Howard Heinz Social and Public Policy Fellowships

MASWE Memorial Scholarship

Jesse Marvin Unruh Assembly Fellowship

High School Graduate Scholarships

Graduate Assistantship

Frank M Chapman Memorial Fund

International House of Japan

Catherine H Beattie Fellowship for Conservation Horticulture

Universities

University of KwaZulu-Natal

University of Limpopo

University of Pretoria

University of South Africa

University of Stellenbosch

University of the Free State

University of the Witwatersrand

University of Western Cape - UWC

University of Zululand

Copperbelt University

University of Zambia

Solusi University

Universidade de Cabo Verde

University of Mauritius

Universite de la Reunion
 
 

Privacy | Disclaimer | Sitemap