University description (as per official university website)
Choosing Fleming means selecting a place full of life - a place where you can really enjoy going to school. Our two main campuses, Sutherland and Frost, are located in central Ontario's amazing Kawartha Lakes region, just 130 km northeast of Toronto. As a result, we deliver that hard-to-find combination of quality learning and quality of life.
Each main campus occupies 80 hectares of green space, offering modern, on-campus residence accommodations and the best in teaching and recreational facilities. Peterborough, a thriving college and university city, offers students urban convenience and relaxed living. Lindsay, about 30 km away, provides an ideal setting for students at our School of Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences.
Located in the heart of Central Ontario, Fleming College has campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg and Haliburton. Named for famous Canadian inventor and engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, the college features more than 90 full-time programs in, Business, Community Development, Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, Fine Arts, Health and Wellness, Law and Justice, and Technology and Skilled Trades. Fleming College has 5,000 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, and more than 50,000 alumni.
Sir Sandford Fleming College is named after Sir Sandford Fleming, who invented Standard Time. He also was the engineer in charge of construction and surveys for the Northern Railway (1852-1856) and the Canadian Pacific railway (1871-1880).
96 per cent of Fleming College graduates would recommend the college to a friend.
There are 52,000 Fleming alumni.
Fleming College offers hands-on learning, work placements, applied projects and field schools within its 90 full-time programs.
The college has been a leader in environmental education for more than 35 years.
Only two stoplights from Yonge and Bloor to our campuses in Peterborough and Lindsay.
There are more than 134 lakes in the Peterborough and the Kawarthas region.
The first offices of Sir Sandford Fleming College opened on King Street, Peterborough in the Colonial Coach Lines Bus Terminal offices in 1967.
That same year, the college opened for business at its McDonnel Street address in a renovated textile mill. In 1968 the campus was officially named the Daniel Building and in 1976 was joined by a new facility constructed on the property and named the McRae Building. This original site of the college is now known as the McRae Campus.
In 1968 the Dobbin farm was chosen as the site for what was to become the Brealey Campus. Phases I and II of the facility opened in 1973. In 1983, it was officially named the Sutherland Campus in honour of its first president.
The Lindsay campus began in 1967 in St. Joseph's Convent. By 1973, it had acquired its own identity in the Frost Campus.
The Lakeshore Campus was founded in Cobourg in 1971.