University description (as per official university website)
Concordia University College of Alberta is committed to the highest standards in education, spiritual care, service, and professional conduct and to the delivery of excellent university programs. We value the potential of every student and offer a student-focused liberal arts education.
* Interactive and innovative university programs offered within an engaging learning environment and a close community of students, faculty, and staff
* Degrees that are recognized nationally and internationally
* Degrees that are designed to prepare students for professional programs (e.g., education, law, medicine, dentistry, etc.) or graduate school
* Instructors who are committed to excellence in teaching and research
* Programs that focus on writing and research, integrate technology with teaching, or offer practical, hands-on training through field or work experiences
* Student life that is diverse and accessible—athletics, drama, student leadership, choir, symphony orchestra
* Support services for aboriginal students, for students returning to school after several years, and for students with physical or learning disabilities
* An overwhelming number of Concordia graduates are completely satisfied with their university experience
* Concordia has been satisfying graduates since 1921
Concordia is a proud member of the AUCC (Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada).
Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom
Throughout its history, Concordia has remained grounded in the belief that the Christian faith gives purpose to life and that success depends upon spiritual maturity. Concordia fosters a Christian lifestyle on campus and encourages a dual commitment to academic excellence and religious vitality.
1921 - Concordia College is founded by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod to prepare young men for preaching and teaching ministries
1939 - The college expands to include women and to offer general courses of study and an accredited high school program
1967 - Concordia begins offering first-year university courses in affiliation with the University of Alberta
1975 - Affiliation with the University of Alberta begins for second-year university courses
1987 - Concordia becomes a degree-granting institution
1991 - Formal affiliation with the University of Alberta ends by mutual agreement
1995 - Concordia College changes its name to Concordia University College of Alberta to reflect its status as a degree-granting institution.
Today, Concordia University College of Alberta program offerings include undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its degree programs, Concordia continues to offer church work programs as well as diploma and certificate programs in Career Development and academic upgrading programs.
Concordia, established by Lutheran Church–Canada, (External Link) is governed by an elected and appointed Board of Regents.
Concordia is an intimate university community within the busy urban center of Edmonton, Alberta's capital. Our Highlands campus is tucked away in a residential area overlooking the beautiful North Saskatchewan River valley, minutes from downtown by public or private transportation. It's the best of both worlds: a peaceful locale within easy reach of the countless amenities of city center.
Edmonton (External Link) is a diverse, multicultural city of 770,000 people who enjoy a high quality of life amid an abundance of arts, professional sports, and entertainment events as well as parks that form an extensive network of trails for hiking, biking, jogging, and cross-country ski enthusiasts. The city is home to the world-famous West Edmonton Mall and the popular market, cafés, and pubs in Old Strathcona. The mountains, forests, lakes, and grasslands of Alberta's (External Link) spectacular landscape are within driving distance.
The United Nations consistently ranks Canada (External Link) first in the world as a good place to live!
©1998-2010 Concordia University College of Alberta