University description (as per official university website)
San Francisco's first university, USF was established in October 1855 by a small group of Jesuit priests.
Our founder, Father Anthony Maraschi, S.J., arrived in San Francisco as an Italian immigrant in 1854. The next year, he borrowed $11,500 to build a Jesuit church and school on a few sand dunes on the south side of Market Street (between Fourth and Fifth Streets), and proclaimed, “Here, in time, will be the heart of a great city.”
* Vision, Mission, Values
* USF History
The original college, known first as St. Ignatius Academy, was located in a simple frame building 75 feet long by 35 feet wide, now the site of San Francisco Centre. When the school opened its doors to its first class, three students showed up – that number grew to 65 by 1858. The state of California granted it a charter in 1859.
In 1862, a new building for the College was constructed on the same site. In June 1863, the first Bachelor of Arts degree was conferred.
In 1880, the College moved to new buildings on Van Ness Avenue near the site of the Civic Center (currently the site of the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall). After the 1906 San Francisco earthquake the College was relocated to temporary quarters at Hayes and Shrader Streets within the year.
College of Arts and Sciences
In 1909, property was acquired at Fulton and Parker Avenues, the current location of our campus. In 1914, the development of the new campus began in earnest. By 1927, to accommodate the growing student population, a Liberal Arts building was completed and dedicated and the entire University was moved to its present location.
In 1930, on the occasion of its Diamond Jubilee, and at the request of civic, professional, and industrial leaders of San Francisco, St. Ignatius College became the University of San Francisco. In 1931, under Dean Hubert Flynn, S.J., the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science were established as major divisions. In 1982, the name was changed to reflect the incorporated status of both Colleges into one - the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Currently, the College is identified as the College of Arts and Sciences.
School of Law
The USF School of Law was established in 1912 with classes held in the Grant Building on Market Street. In 1927, the School of Law relocated to the current USF campus. The school now includes the Koret Law Center, Kendrick Hall, and the Dorraine Zief Law Library. The latter 60,000 square foot, state-of-the-art building was completed in 2001. In 2003, Kendrick Hall, originally built in 1962 and expanded in 1982, was completely reconstructed, including its classrooms, seminar rooms, offices, student support services, and lounges. In January 2004, the University of San Francisco School of Law formally dedicated the Koret Law Center, the complex that comprises both the reconstructed Kendrick Hall and the new Dorraine Zief Law Library. The law school facilities now count among the finest in the United States.
School of Business and Professional Studies
Founded in 1924, the business program began as a four-year evening certificate program. The School of Business has been accredited nationally since 1953 by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business. In 2004, Malloy Hall, the new home for the School of Business and Management, was dedicated.
In 2009, the College of Professional Studies merged with the School of Business to become the School of Business and Professional Studies with a rich portfolio of academic programs from both schools.
The School is committed to the preparation of men and women for leadership positions in the public and private sectors. A practical orientation is added to a theoretical foundation to prepare students for the increased complexity of organizational environments.
School of Education
In 1948, the University established the Department of Education under the leadership of Paul J. Harney, S.J. In 1972 the Board of Trustees established the School of Education and in 1975 the first doctoral students were admitted to study for the newly approved Doctor of Education degree. The years from 1975 to 1980 represented an expansion period during which the enrollment grew rapidly in the doctoral programs, and innovative master's degree and credential programs were offered off-campus at various sites throughout the state. Currently, the School enjoys a well-established reputation as a leading institution dedicated to meeting the needs of professional educators through academic programs, research, and other services.
School of Nursing
The School of Nursing began in 1948 as a department within the College of Arts and Sciences. This first nursing department was a cooperative effort with the Sisters of Mercy so that registered nurses from nearby St. Mary's Hospital could earn their baccalaureate degrees. An independent School of Nursing was formed in 1954 and accredited by the National League for Nursing when the first class graduated in 1958. The baccalaureate program provides a strong liberal arts and science preparation coupled with professional knowledge in nursing theory and practice. In 2007, the School was approved to offer the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree, making USF the first university in California to offer this advanced degree for working nurses.