University description (as per official university website)
Merritt College was established in 1954 as the Merritt School of Business. It was named after a physician, Dr. Samuel Merritt. It is currently a part of the Peralta Community College District. The college is located on an area of more than 120 acres in Oakland, California. It moved to its present campus in 1971.
There are several academic departments at Merritt College. Some of these include computer information systems, environmental management and technology, paralegal studies, business administration and administration of justice. The college also offers scholarships that are based on both merit and financial need.
The sports teams of Merritt College are known as the Thunderbirds and participate in a wide variety of sports like menís and womenís basketball, cross-country, track and field and menís soccer. The college competes in the Bay Valley Conference.
To be considered eligible for receiving financial aid, a student must:
* Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen;
* Be enrolled in an eligible program at his/her home college and be working toward a degree, certificate or transfer to a four-year institution;
* Have a valid Social Security Number;
* Be registered with Selective Service if required to register;
* Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a repayment on a federal student grant or Perkins Loan;
* Have a high school diploma, or GED, or demonstrate an ability to benefit from the course of study selected;
* Be achieving satisfactory academic progress; and have a need for financial aid as demonstrated by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).