University description (as per official university website)
Situated on 60 wooded acres high in the Oakland hills, our campus provides beautiful views of the San Francisco Bay and a close-knit, supportive environment that allows for intense learning and personal development. Holy Names University has been named a 2004 "Best Value: A Great School at a Great Price" by U.S. News & World Report. Ranked third among Western colleges and universities for diversity and twelfth in best value, HNU provides an atmosphere where perspectives are valued, shared, and shaped. In close partnership with our distinguished faculty, you will question, experiment, research, and sharpen the professional skills you will use the rest of your life. You will also have many chances to have fun, volunteer, assume leadership roles, and express your creativity.
One of the Finest Places on Earth
Holy Names University is located on 60 wooded acres in the Oakland hills. The unique location offers a breathtaking, panoramic view of Oakland, San Francisco and the Bay. Nestled among the hills, the campus provides a safe haven and an extremely beautiful study atmosphere. At the same time (BART) makes it easy to reach museums, sporting events, and world-class performing arts within minutes. Convenient day-long or weekend trips may be made to Yosemite National Park, the Sierra Gold Country, Lake Tahoe, Monterey Bay and Carmel, and to the Napa Valley and Sonoma County wineries. Parks surrounding the campus offer numerous opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, or bicycling.
The Bay Area's climate reflects its coastal location. The winter months are temperate, fall and spring offer sunny and clear days, and the summers provide foggy early mornings and sunny, breezy afternoons. Any time of year is perfect for work or leisure.
Students are eligible for need-based financial assistance if they meet the following criteria:
* United States citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen of the United States.
* Officially accepted into a degree, certificate or credential program by the Office of Admission.
* Have a high school diploma, GED or the equivalent.
* Enrolled at least half-time per term
o Undergraduate semester and teacher credential programs -- 6 units per semester
o Undergraduate accelerated programs (Adult Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program and Bachelor of Science in Nursing )--6 units
o Graduate semester programs--5 units per semester
* Not owe a refund on a federal grant and not be in default on a federal educational loan received at any institution of higher education.
* Maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined by HNU policy.
▲ Top of Page ▲
* Students should apply for financial assistance as early as possible after January 1st for the coming academic year. Students who have applied for financial assistance will receive an official Financial Aid Award after formal admission to the University.
* The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the financial aid form used by Holy Names University. This form may be obtained from any college financial aid office, or high school, or on the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. For priority consideration, the FAFSA should be submitted to the Central Processor (CPS) by March 2nd for the coming academic year.
* Students selected for verification will be required to submit a copy of their Federal income tax return. If a parent provided information on the FAFSA, a parent's Federal tax return is also required. For married students, the spouse's Federal tax return must also be submitted.
* Students may also need to submit other documentation, such as childcare expenses, medical expenses, child support, citizenship, private school tuition, untaxed income and benefits, etc., if requested by the Financial Aid Office.
* The Financial Aid Office will review all information submitted and send a Financial Aid Award to all admitted students who complete the process. Students should carefully review the Award and accompanying information and return it to the Financial Aid Office by the deadline date on the Award.