University description (as per official university website)
CONTRA COSTA COLLEGE HISTORY
Contra Costa Community College District was established on December 14, 1948, with boundaries nearly identical to those of Contra Costa County. There are three colleges in the district: Contra Costa College (San Pablo), Los Medanos College (Pittsburgh), and Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill).
Contra Costa College was the first of the three colleges in the district to be established. Originally named Contra Costa Junior College, West Campus, it began in 1949 at the old Kaiser Shipyards in Point Richmond. The first classes started February 14, 1950, with a beginning enrollment of 500 students. In 1956, the college moved to its present location, an 83-acre site in the rolling hills overlooking San Pablo Bay.
The College Archives, located in the Library, maintains a record of the past and current history of our college. The archival collections include the college catalogs and course schedules, yearbooks, photographs, student publications, college newsletters, and a clipping file of articles about the college from local newspapers. These collections are open, by appointment, to anyone who is interested in researching the history and development of the college. Researchers may make an appointment to use the archives during the library's regular weekday hours by calling the library Reference Desk (510) 235-7800 x4450.
Some archived items, such as college catalogs and course schedules, are listed in the Library's online catalog. A printed index to the student newspapers (up to 1965 at this time) is available in the Library's Reference area.
The Office of Student Financial Assistance is dedicated to providing our students with up to date financial aid information and resources. We strive to attain the latest financial aid updates and training by attending conferences across the United States, webinars, and working with other financial aid departments from various institutions; in order to provide the best service and opportunities for our students.