University description (as per official university website)
With its heritage as a foundation and an eye toward the future, Bakersfield College provides the high quality education necessary for our socially and ethnically diverse students--whether they be vocational, transfer-oriented, developmental, or some combination of these--to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
We will accomplish our mission by:
* Establishing strong connections with our student and business communities
* Understanding the needs of our diverse student population
* Responding to student and community needs with efficiency and flexibility
* Honoring our long heritage of community involvement
* Remaining vigilant in scanning our present and future environment within which we operate
* Promoting tolerance and patience with all of our stakeholders
The diverse communities we serve will trust Bakersfield College with their most precious resource, people. Our high standards of education and service will earn that trust. Our values will be evident in all that we do.
People We value our students, faculty, staff, administration and our communities. We recognize that education is a human endeavor. It is personal and hinges on the mutual respect and trust of the learners, the providers, and the communities they serve.
Integrity We hold our academic and fiduciary responsibilities to the highest professional and ethical standards. These areas are measured for accountability in order to maintain the trust of our students and community.
Education Education is the reason our institution exists, both for its own sake and for the benefit of the local, state, and national economy. People who are educated are more geographically and economically mobile and better able to contribute to society as a whole.
Courage We value the courage to learn, teach, and lead with the moral and mental strength to do what is right as students, faculty and staff—even in the face of personal or professional adversity.
Diversity We respect and embrace the strengthening power of diversity. We recognize and delight in the differences between people and cultures. This helps us function better in our increasingly diverse community.
Tradition Our traditions are the precious heritage that defines who we are, where we come from, and why we should be proud.
Financial aid administered or approved by Bakersfield College under Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), or Federal Stafford Loan is based on the following conditions. The student must:
* be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
* be registered with the Selective Service System (males, age 18-25)
* be working toward a degree or certificate
* be making satisfactory academic progress
* not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan
* have "financial need" as determined in part by submitting the FAFSA
To be eligible for California grants, you must:
* be a resident of California
* have "financial need" based on the criteria for the Board of Governor's Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGFW) or Cal Grant A, B, or C Program
* submit a GPA Verification to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2nd.
* you must have a high school diploma; or
* possess a General Education Development (GED) certificate or a California High School Certificate of Proficiency; or
* attain a passing score on the Ability to Benefit test selected by Bakersfield College.
Course of Study:
* enroll in a program of study leading to an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree
* enroll in a two year program that is acceptable for credit toward a Bachelor's Degree (Transfer course of study) at a 4-year college or university
* enroll in a career education certificate program