University description (as per official university website)
American River College is a premier learning community that transforms and enriches people's lives.
American River College is a public community college granting certificates and associate degrees. Although the college serves people from a variety of geographical areas, it primarily serves the adult residents of the five-county Greater Sacramento region who are capable of benefiting from community college instruction.
ARC exists to ensure students identify their educational goals and needs and successfully accomplish student learning in the following broad educational areas:
* Developmental education to achieve basic foundation skills in reading, writing, mathematics, English as a Second Language, and learning and study skills which are necessary for students to succeed in college-level work.
* Career and technical education to achieve employment or enhanced career skills for job advancement.
* General education to achieve knowledge, skills and attitudes for post-secondary education success, personal enrichment, self-development, and a purposeful and meaningful life as a member of a global community.
* Lower division post-secondary education to achieve transfer to and success in obtaining a degree at a four-year post-secondary education institution.
There are a number of requirements that must be met before a student is considered eligible for financial aid.
The student must:
* have financial need (except for unsubsidized student loans)
* be a U.S. citizen or eligible non- citizen
* not be in default on a Perkins Loan, National Direct Student Loan, Stafford Loan, Guaranteed Student Loan, PLUS Loan, or Supplemental Loan for Students (SLS)
* not owe a refund on a Pell Grant or Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
* be making satisfactory progress (financial aid and academic)
* agree to use any federal student aid received solely for educational purposes
* have not completed a BA/BS degree (except for student loans)
* have a high school diploma, GED/proficiency certificate or pass the ability to benefit test
* be enrolled in an eligible educational program of study