University description (as per official university website)
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary exists to provide theological education for individuals engaging in Christian ministry. Southwestern provides a community of faith and learning that develops spiritual leaders with a passion for Christ and the Bible, a love for people, and the skills to minister effectively in a rapidly changing world.
Since its founding, the seminary has trained and sent out more than 40,000 graduates to serve in local churches and mission fields around the world. In 1908, B.H. Carroll established the seminary on the campus of Baylor University. It was moved to its current location on Seminary Hill in Fort Worth in 1910 and was placed under the direction of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1925. Paige Patterson was elected as the eighth president of the seminary in 2003.
"Do the work of an evangelist ... Bring the books, especially the parchments" captures for a new generation of students the historic pledge of Southwestern Seminary to serve both Southern Baptist churches and a lost world by equipping ministers for their God-ordained task, according to President Paige Patterson.
The vision to provide trained ministers of the Gospel for America's western frontiers was held by B. H. Carroll for many years. His dream saw its fruition in the establishment of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary almost 100 years ago.
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary was an outgrowth of the theological department, which had been established in 1901 at Baylor University, Waco, Texas. In 1905, the department became Baylor Theological Seminary with five professors on the teaching staff.
The Baptist General Convention of Texas authorized the separation of the seminary from Baylor University in 1907. At that time the seminary was given a new name, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and a separate board of trustees.
The seminary was chartered on March 14, 1908, and functioned on the Waco campus until the summer of 1910. Several Texas cities made strong bids for the new institution. The seminary accepted the offer made by Fort Worth citizens under the leadership of Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Winston. A campus site and enough funds to build the first building were provided. The first building was named Fort Worth Hall in honor of its new location. In 1925, control of the seminary passed from the Texas convention to the Southern Baptist Convention.
The student enrollment at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary was 3,042 in 2007 (2,139 full-time equivalent).
Undergrads are 10% of enrolled students, graduate students are 54%, and those seeking first-professional graduate degrees represent 36%.
Students living in the US make up 100% of incoming freshmen.