University description (as per official university website)
St. Luke's College has been committed to educating knowledgeable and competent health care professionals for nearly a century. There are more than 2,700 alumni employed in a variety of health care positions throughout the community and nation.
With the educational programs, a long-standing tradition of providing quality health care education in a hospital setting continues. St. Luke's College is proud of its excellent reputation for preparing graduates to pass national licensure examinations and to practice as registered health care professionals.
Involvement in diploma nursing education began with the establishment of Lutheran School of Nursing in 1902 and the subsequent establishment of Methodist School of Nursing in 1920. Both schools operated independently until the 1966 merger of Lutheran and Methodist hospitals forming St. Luke's Regional Medical Center.
Consistent with the Mission Statement of the Medical Center to conduct formal health education programs for health professionals, Lutheran and Methodist Schools of Nursing merged in 1967 to form St. Luke's School of Nursing. Continuing in the commitment to excellence in nursing education, St. Luke's School of Nursing maintained a National League for Nursing (NLN) accredited diploma program for nearly three decades.
In 1993, the program of studies was expanded to include programs in allied health and the name of the school was changed to St. Luke's School of Nursing and Allied Health. In 1995, the Board of Directors of St. Luke's Regional Medical Center established St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences. To meet the changing educational needs of the nursing profession, St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences made the decision to begin an Associate of Science in Nursing degree program in the fall of 1996.
The college changed its name to St. Luke's College in 2001. The college continues to provide quality healthcare education to students residing not only in the Siouxland area but extending to foreign countries.
Involvement in diploma radiologic technology education began with the establishment of St. Joseph and St. Vincent's Schools of Radiologic Technology in the 1940's. Both schools operated independently until the 1977 merger of the two hospitals forming Marian Health Center (MHC). In 1991, MHC School of Radiologic Technology began a cooperative program with St. Luke's Regional Medical Center, in which students gained valuable clinical experience. Sponsorship of the program was transferred from Marian Health Center to St. Luke's Regional Medical Center in 1998. St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences accepted its first class of radiologic technology students for the fall of 1998.
In the summer of 2000, St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences awarded certificates to its first graduating class. In that same year, the college enrolled its first students in the ultrasound internship program. St. Luke's College of Nursing and Health Sciences changed its name to St. Luke's College in 2001. Continuing in the commitment to excellence, St. Luke's College made the decision to change from a certificate program to an associate degree program in radiologic technology. In addition to these changes, the internship programs have expanded to include computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and mammography to meet the growing needs in the field of radiology.
Respiratory Care Education
Interest in respiratory care education started in the late 1990's. Planning initiatives identified in the College's Strategic Planning document included the offering of additional health science programs as indicated by assessed needs. A needs assessment conducted in 2002 demonstrated a need for a respiratory care educational program. The planning process for an associate of science in respiratory care program began in 2002 with the first class admitted in the fall of 200