University description (as per official university website)
MacMurray College dates its history from 1846 when a group of Methodist clergymen, led by Peter Cartwright and Peter Akers, founded it as the Illinois Conference Female Academy. The first class was held in 1848. The school was renamed the Illinois Conference Female College in 1851, with the name changed again to Illinois Female College in 1863.
Throughout the second half of the nineteenth century, the College provided a rigorous educational program for women at the preparatory and collegiate levels. Programs of instruction included Latin, Greek, chemistry, natural and moral philosophy, and meteorology. A student's day began early in the morning and proceeded through a steady succession of classes and study halls to "lights out" in the evening.
Social life included chaperoned visits off-campus and the reception of male guests, provided they were approved by the governess. Nonetheless, according to a college historian, the dean experienced some difficulty preventing students from escaping from the residence halls.
Deaf & Hard of Hearing: Teacher Education
Interpreter Training Program
Philosophy and Religion
The MacMurray College Financial Aid Office administers approximately $7,000,000 in aid from federal, state, institutional and outside sources to approximately 700 students annually. Staff are available to answer questions regarding financial aid programs as well as assist students in completing financial aid forms and locating employment opportunities on and off-campus.