University description (as per official university website)
Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) is a nonresidential two-year institution of higher education that serves Central Virginia -- principally residents of the City of Charlottesville, and the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa and Nelson. The scenic campus is located in Albemarle County, Virginia. It is one of 23 community colleges in Virginia that comprise the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
PVCC's impact on Central Virginia has been immense since our establishment in 1972:
* More than 100,000 students have taken classes at PVCC.
* PVCC has awarded over 8,500 associate degrees and certificates.
* Each year, over 400 students transfer from PVCC to a four-year college or university to pursue a bachelor's degree. To date, more than 2,000 students have transferred to the University of Virginia.
* More than 1,100 of our nursing students have become registered nurses with most working all or part of their career in our service region.
* Businesses throughout Central Virginia also rely on our graduates to provide a skilled workforce.
PVCC is committed to providing access to a college education for all who can benefit, an opportunity for each student to reach his or her potential, and excellence in our programs and services.
Each year, current and prospective PVCC students of all ages, backgrounds and interests, are awarded scholarships, and these sources of funds to pay for College do not have to be repaid. Scholarships come from a variety of sources such as grants and donors to the College.
PVCC Educational Foundation Scholarships
These scholarships have been established by generous individuals, organizations and businesses in Central Virginia to support students at PVCC. They range in amount from $250 to $4,000. Nearly 100 scholarships are awarded each year. The deadline for scholarships for the 2008-2009 academic year has passed. Check back in early January 2009 when information will be posted regarding scholarships available for 2009-2010.