University description (as per official university website)
Just the Facts
* Private four-year women’s liberal arts college founded in 1842 with coeducational graduate and adult degree programs
* Located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley on 54 acres of rolling hills in Staunton, Virginia (pop. 24,000)
* Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
* Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top-tier master’s level university in the South
* Ranked as a top college in the Southeast by Princeton Review
* Degrees offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science
* Adult Degree Program (B.A., B.S.) on campus and at five regional centers throughout the state
* Master of Arts in Teaching offered on main campus and at three regional centers: Richmond, Roanoke, and Charlottesville
* Master of Letters and Master of Fine Arts in Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature in Performance
* More than 30 majors and 35 minors
* Pre-professional programs in law, medicine, ministry, ROTC (Air Force, Navy, Army)
* Undergraduate and post baccalaureate teacher licensure programs
Mary Baldwin College offers multiple avenues to achievement.
* The undergraduate Residential College for Women offers diverse academic opportunities tailored to suit your dreams. Personalized and transforming, the RCW offers unique signature programs and the 10 key experiences we call the MBC Advantage. Unique signature programs within the RCW include the Virginia Women's Institute for Leadership, the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted, and the Quest Interfaith Village.
* As a student of MBC’s Graduate Programs, you take your education to the next level with unique and acclaimed programs that test your limits, and give you the tools to succeed.
* As an Adult Degree Program student, you need a transforming education, with the flexibility to suit your schedule. Classes in Staunton and at five regional centers throughout Virginia let you pursue your passions on your time.
Student Body and Enrollment (2007–2008)
* 807 undergraduate women in the Residential College for Women
o 35% students of color
o 2% international students
o Student/Faculty Ratio 10:1
o Average Class Size 16.8
* 1268 adult degree women and men
* 179 graduate women and me
Financial Aid (2007-2008)
* Students with need-based aid — 75%
* Average aid package — $21,247
Mary Baldwin offers merit-based scholarships to international students. The scholarships range from $5,000- $13,000 and are based on TOEFL or SAT scores and past academic achievement. We do not have work-study programs, assistantships, or need-based financial aid. The merit scholarship is renewable each year.