University description (as per official university website)
William & Mary is unlike any other college in America. William & Mary is the nation's best small, public university.
* Chartered on February 8, 1693, by King William III and Queen Mary II of England
* The second oldest college in America
* Severed formal ties with Britain in 1776
* Became state-supported in 1906 and coeducational in 1918
* Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's first academic Greek society, was founded here in 1776
* Five undergraduate and graduate schools: Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Law and Marine Science
* 36 undergraduate programs, 12 graduate programs and professional degree programs in Business, Education and Law
* Degrees conferred: B.A., B.B.A., B.S., Ed.D., J.D., LL.M., M.A., M.A.C., M.B.A., M.Ed., M.P.P., M.S., Ph.D., Psy.D.
William & Mary is an academic powerhouse. The undergraduate and graduate students choose W&M because of its celebrated liberal arts tradition and commitment to hands-on, original research. They know they’ll work hard and that their uncommon efforts will be personally, academically and professionally rewarding.
Departments and schools:
Arts & Sciences is the largest academic unit on campus, with 12 graduate programs and 35 undergraduate departments and interdisciplinary programs. This is the core of W&M’s liberal arts curriculum, where expert professors team with talented young minds to answer the world’s oldest and newest questions. Master’s and doctoral degrees in select graduate programs train students to become professional scholars and leaders in their fields.
The Mason School of Business is both a professional training ground and an undergraduate introduction to the world of finance, management and marketing. Undergrads map out an Individual Program of Study (IPS) leading to one of five different degrees. MBA candidates can choose from full-time, flex, and executive programs with heavy emphasis on real-world assignments. Master of Accounting candidates interact with the best in their profession during “The Trip” and executives in the Center for Corporate Education get a customized solution for their business challenge.
The School of Education is nationally accredited and recognized and fosters a learning community committed to a vision of academic excellence and service. It offers both undergraduate teacher preparation and advanced degrees in curriculum and instruction, counseling, school psychology, and administration.
The Law School boasts the Center for Legal and Court Technology, the most technologically advanced courtroom in the world, with extensive remote testifying and evidence presentation capabilities, a real-time transcription system, computer-aided foreign language interpretation and more video screens than a CNN newsroom. The school’s Institute of Bill of Rights Law is a nationally renowned think tank on constitutional law.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is a home for both advanced undergraduates interested in marine science and graduate students attending William & Mary’s School of Marine Science. Located at the convergence of the York River, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, VIMS is one of the nation’s leading research facilities for lab and fieldwork in the marine sciences.
There are three basic types of financial aid offered by William & Mary:
* Federal, state and W&M grants
* Perkins, Stafford and other low-interest student loans
* Federal work-study and other student jobs
Grants and Scholarships
Every year the Office of Undergraduate Admission awards merit-based scholarships to outstanding applicants. Take note that a few W&M scholarships require separate applications or nominations.
William & Mary Merit Scholarships
These scholarships are financial awards given to William and Mary students with proven scholastic ability.
* William & Mary Scholars Award - Available to 20-25 entering